Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Tumi Bongla hobey? translated...are you a Bengali?

“Tumi Bangla Hobe?” (translated, are you Bengali or Bongali).
As I was opening up to reply, pat came another from her, “ Travolling (as in traveling) to Kolkata?”
I smiled and nodded a no and a yes to her, providing her the option to wander which gesture was for which. The lady seemed to be traveling from Bangalore to Kolkata with her kid.
I looked at the trolley that carried her luggage. 1 heavy suitcase, 1 bag that looked heavier
than the suitcase, a carry bag which seemed to contain eatables for herself and the kid, a personal handbag. And obviously the kid to supplement with!

It would not take a rocket scientist to guess the reason for her question. After all, I wasn’t traveling with too much baggage. Just a hand bag and that was it.
She continued, “You know, its very difficult to travel all alone with a kid. My brother is a software engineer in Infosys, you see. He insisted that I come down to Bangalore and stay
with him for a couple of days. I spent 15 days here in Bangalore, you see. If you don’t mind,
can you please help me carry the bag? This kid you see is so much of a trable (trouble) to
move along with.”

I looked at the kid. An angel with a pair of eyes that could melt the toughest of mortals. I could not resist saying yes to the request of helping her.
Between talks, we finished away with giving off the luggage, moved towards the security check and then to the plane. She seemed so much at ease that she insisted I sit next to her in the plane. I obliged yet again. So we started talking again. She the speaker, me the listener.

“So where do you stay in Bangalore? Bangalore is a nice place to stay, but the pallution (spelt pollution). I went to Banerghotta National paark (Bannerghatta National Park), Commorcial street (commercial street) Lal Bhagh (lal Bagh). My brother took us around to many places you see. He’s working for Infosys and is likely to go onsite soon.”

In the meanwhile I forgot to respond to her inquiry about where I did stay in Bangalore. Only if she was interested in knowing, I say;) Cricket and Kolkata are synonymous of each other. So I diverted our talk to the game of cricket, the prince of Bengal and the injustice meted at him.

Me: Do you watch cricket?
She: Very moch (much). My hosband (husband), brather (brother) and me..all are fans of the game.
Me: So you must be quite unhappy about the treatment India has done to Saurav Ganguly?
She: Until and unless, Kiron More (Kiran More) is there, Shaurabh (Saurav) cannot come in the team. This is all politics, you see. But Shaurabh will come again. Take my word.
Me: But they say that he’s to old and out of form?
She: So is Socheen Tendulkaar (Sachin Tendulkar). Why is he in the team vhen (when) he is not scoring anything?
Me: So how do you think Dravid is doing?
She: Dravhid is a fine chap but Shourabhda should have been given some chance, you see.


Cricket and Bengal. Nobody wins them at this. So I put down my sling of questions and shut up.

The she started “When I came down to Bangalore, I came in Kingfisher Airlines. They had TV also. This plane seems to have nothing. What do you say?”
I could not comment and did not even want to sound arrogant. So I just smiled and nodded yes. After a couple of things here and there, I excused myself and dozed off.

As the plane landed and we were moving towards the bus, the lady said, “ You know, God has been very kind to me for having sent you to help me while coming back to Kolkatta. Thank you so much.”

“It was a pleasure traveling with you madam”, I squeakingly replied, kissed the kid on the cheek and waved goodbye to the mother and the son.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

al: thanks for the compliment. but anybody at my place would have assisted...glad that you loved the bengoli speak:)

holidays was fun..had been to the north east..tranquility at its best of clothing:)

8:37 am

 
Blogger Keshi said...

thats a pleasant encounter and one that shows ur a true gentleman...wonderful!

Keshi.

7:54 pm

 
Blogger Sajesh said...

nice read!! ... and welcome back...

12:01 am

 
Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

keshi: thanks fren..im blushing now:)

yldguy:thanks:)

5:58 am

 
Blogger brute said...

i just can't stop laughing ..... enjoyed reading ur stuff.

7:12 am

 
Blogger Lubna said...

8-). You mean to say, you did not help the lady with her luggage when you landed in Kol? Too bad, just joking.

9:05 pm

 
Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

brute: nice to know that it was hilarious:)

lubu: well, forgot to mention that she said that her hubby would be anxiously waiting for her in kol...:)

2:30 am

 
Blogger Scoot said...

You are a nice polite chap
but that is nothing new.Seen it from the beginning of your posts;)

4:29 pm

 
Blogger Dewaker Basnet said...

maya: that was such an easy compliment;)

7:53 am

 
Blogger Neha said...

No..i disagreee.anyone would not have done that if they would have been in your place. I myself would not have done that. I might have but would not have sat next to that lady wid the kid and would have definately not have spoken a word..anyways thats me..and i know i m cold.

11:53 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home