Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Mumbai: The city of elastic opportunities

I blog from Mumbai. This is my first time at the city. One thing that hits me on and on is the term "elastic opportunities". Why? For the simple reason that this city is beyond extended opportunities. Opportunities are extended only to a certain limit. But elasticity, you can stretch it to whatever extent you want to. The city has never been berift of possibilities and opportunities.

Coming from Bangalore, this city seems to be in such a flushed hurry. And courtesy, just goes out of the windows of the local trains that are stocked with humans, rushing to leave from "dont-know-where" to "dont-know-where"; that's Bombay..err Mumbai for me...
A new city, brimming with teeming crowd and each one hunting for a possibility somewhere at the next station!

Sorrys and thank yous is as rare as a dodo! This morning as I was travelling on a local train, happened to bump with a fellow traveller while getting down. Tried to extend the courtesy of saying sorry but the guy was already half a mile ahead.
This is a city in a hurry! No time to extend courtesy and no time to recieve one!

Traveling in local trains is so much of an education on the way this city transpires, conspires and inspires! Some blokes gazing at me on my face with that question mark, some pushing me to the corner of the compartment, some trying to squeeze themselves to read the morning paper, while some just yapping away to glory, the best form of entertainment enmass.

One of the local slangs learn on my way to VT. " Champion ki dum" ( tail of a champion)
Apparently for one who tries to act smart but fails miserably :)

Whatever said and done, this city is full of life. Rush is by the hour but yes that's whatMumbai epitomises...
I am in a rush too...Maybe the Mumbai effect!! Catch you guys later:)